Bloody rant! was Re: Ok, what is an LTR cap.

>Original poster: "Barton B. Anderson" <tesla123-at-pacbell-dot-net>

>Actually, PIG's are STR's (smaller than resonant). Typically, coilers use a
>10kva, 14.4kv pig's. Resonant caps are 0.128uF (from memory). Obvisouly
>HUGE!
>We typically use smaller than resonant caps (STR's) on our systems. NST's
>however (and OBIT's), can use LTR's.

duh...sorry :)

Could you imagine the joules for a pig
>using an LTR? I see smoke, fire, wooosh!!! Well, for most of us, not Greg,
>Bill, Hull, etc... or you Chris (yet?).

um.....I'm not ready to be in that list yet. You have to earn the position
of being a Big Dog. Give me time though, by 2005 I'll have the Avalon Coil
built, and a LOT more wisdom under my graying and receding hairline.

I've been on this list for quite a while now (over 2 years I believe) and I
still consider myself quite the newbie and a bit of an outsider. I'm far
from being a lurker, given that I post almost everyday. But I still have a
lot to learn.

I'm building Avalon just as much for myself as for the thousands of other
Geeks that will have the oppertunity to learn there. The ability to perform
the research in Tesla Coiling that so desperately needs to be done to settle
the hundreds of little holy-wars out here and to answer questions that have
been around since Tesla himself asked them will be the single greatest
evolutionary step for the science of Coiling since Tesla was accepted to the
great research lab in the sky.

I have no desire to be behind a desk (though I spend an inordinate amount of
time in meetings and kissing corporate butt). I belong in a lab, or a
classroom. The concept of being the C.E.O. of a multi-million-dollar
non-profit corporation is terrifying. If it wasn't for the incredible team
of people I'm working with, there is no way I could accomplish this. I'm a
Geek, not a God. To be 25 and doing what I'm doing is not a logical thing.
Normal people my age are chasing girls, enjoying recreational
pharmacuticals, and trying to figure out how to get a real job "I have a
degree in liberal arts, you want fries with that?", I had to go out and try
to change the world.

I have to be crazy for trying to do this, but I wouldn't trade places with
anyone on earth. I get to teach kids, make mistakes in coiling that cost
enough to kill most peoples interest in it quick (or at least toast a
marridge), and play with the coolest toys on earth for a living.

Who cares about dental when the benifits package includes all the free time
in the HVL you want! lol

The Geek Group will be the first facility in the WORLD that will offer
classes in Tesla Coiling! Can you imagine that? How many of you would come
to Kalamazoo to be able to work in the perfect facility, with trained staff,
guest lecturers (like Bill, Greg, Terry, Reinhard, Antonio, Robin, etc...),
spend a few weeks building your own coil (that you KNOW will work when it's
done) and learn more in a month than you would in 3 years of tinkering in
the garage? You would have all the correct safety training, tools,
equipment, parts (no more scrounging for NST's) you could ever need. And
people who UNDERSTAND why you have this psychotic desire to make 6' arcs
that keeps you up at night.

Monthly Teslathons and a yearly science festival that makes Burning Man look
like Mr.Rodger's Neighborhood. Maybe we can even get Don Herbert to sign
autographs, lol.

Bonus points for anyone who knows who he is.

That's why I'm building Avalon.
Alright..(pant PANT pant PANT).....I'll quit shaking my fist and get off my
podium now (I've gone way beyond a soapbox, lol).

Now do you see what I'm doing?

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group