Re: Inductive Kick LTR Pig Systems

Hi Terry,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi All,
>
> I was plugging away at a few Inductive Kick Larger Than Resonant designs
> with pig transformers with MicroSim.  I can fairly easily charge a 270nF
> cap to 20.3kV at 120BPS while staying inside the "specs" of everything.
> However, that is only:
>
> 1/2 x 270x10^-9 x 20300^2 x 120 = 6676 watts
>
> for 10kVA input.  The problem is the power factor is really bad!  Do people
> use PFC caps with pig systems??  I assume the "limit" of such a system is
> the AC line current available.  PFC caps may do wonders for getting more
> bang for the same current.  PFC cap could easily pull that power factor
> right in.

I don't think I've heard of anyone using PFC caps for pigs. I don't. We could I
guess. A 10kva 14.4kv pig would use a 460uF PFC. I'm guessing this would have
to be a robust cap.

> IK LTR Pig Systems (IKLTRPS) seem very interesting since we can change the
> ballasting and get over a rather obnoxious tuning parameter that cannot be
> adjusted on NST systems...
>
> If a pig can take a substantial current overload, one could just design an
> IKLTRPS to match the breaker box limits ones has available.  50, 100, 200
> amps service in other words.  With 200 amp service, you should be able to
> get 45kW which is close to what Tesla had and works to 31 foot arcs from
> John's equations "stretched" ;-))  Such a system may cost a bit more than
> typical but there is a lot of potential for a really efficient home system
> that would run an a tremendous amount of power.  Perhaps a 20 or 30 kVA pig
> would be best.  I assume pigs are 240:14400 devices.  I work with three
> phase all the time so I forget the "home" voltages...

Yes, 240 (at least at my house). The joules would be so high on an LTR that the
coil itself would need to be pretty big (and gap, and.. and..). Most of us
probably just wouldn't have the room for the whole setup (or the sparks).