Re: Do I need to retune when adjusting a spark gap?

tar inside was had more cracks in it than humpty dumpty

That's OK boss! :) I have never seen a NST that had a few years of outdoor
service that didn't have cracks. The tar doesn't heat at an even rate (and
it can get incredibly hot in an outdoor sign). When the inner, or lower tar
heats mor rapidly than the upper tar, it expands and pushes the more
gelatinous (than liquidic higher temp tar) up and the cracks form. If it
gets hot enough it's through these cracks the steam will vent. Try cooking
one on a griddle, you'll see. As far as I know the cracks have no serious
effect on the performance as they don't go down terribly far.

Christopher A. Boden Geek#1
President / C.E.O. / Alpha Geek
The Geek Group
www.thegeekgroup-dot-org