Re: Inductive Kick LTR Pig Systems

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>
>
> Hi Marc,
>
>         The RMS current through those caps should be the same as any PFC
> application.  My first thought is the 680uF is a pretty large continuous AC
> cap value and perhaps it is a motor start or intermittent duty cap.

yes they were motor start caps, it never occurred to me that i was using them
in the wrong application? (hind sight again)

> think you save these two caps in series for 340uF but that should not
> explain the heating.  It is also possible that there is some resonance
> going on between these large caps and the pt somehow.
>
> In the configuration that the two 680uFs were overheating, Could you tell
> us what the connections were (I assume in series across the AC line right
> before the PT.  Also if you could mention the PTs specs too.

the caps were paralleled across the line after the main contactor, before the
pt. the new caps are mallory 40-48uf, 220ac. these exhibited some warming but
that was after one old one that i used in other experiments blew, i think i
hurt it? i am getting some more caps to build a new matched bank. the Pfc. for
the 2kva  stepper trans. are the new Mallory's and they seemed to warm also but
not much and maybe my imagination?
the pt is a 110/33000, 300-1 unit. single terminal. i am running 120v into the
stepper and 70v out to the pt.
there are things on the pt label that make no sense to me but if you or anyone
would like to decipher it i'll post.
marc