Re: will this be a problem?

on that fateful day 8/28/00 12:33 AM, Tesla list uttered:

> Original poster: "Pholp Smiff" <kawanze-at-hotmail-dot-com>
>

> i was winding my primary coil with .25" copper tubing and ran out (it was a
> 50 foot roll) and so i bought another 25 foot roll and started where the
> other ended. I connected the two ends with aluminum tape (aka muffler repair
> tape) will this be a problem? will if affect inductance or burn up when the
> higher current goes through it?

The RMS current for most coils _probably_ isn't high enough to burn up a
chunk of aluminum tape, but it doesn't sound like a good connection.  I
would recommend that you join the seam this way:

1. ream out the ends to be joined so that you have a nice square end, and no
crimped in portion (such as you got if you cut it with a tubing cutter)

2. find a chunk of copper tubing (perhaps a slit piece of the same stuff the
rest of the primary is made from) that will just fit inside the ends to be
joined.  It will only need to be 1/2" - 3/4" long.

3. wrap some steel wool around a nail and clean up the inside of the tubing
until it is shiny and bright. Do the same to the outside of your union
piece.

4. tin the inside of one piece of tubing and the outside of your union
chunk.  You may have to use a propane torch or a _huge_ (150watt +, probably
an antique) soldering iron.  Let it cool.

5. tin the inside of the other piece of tubing.  Using the torch, heat only
the un-connected tubing, but not the union, for until the solder inside
appears molten.  Holding the union and first tubing firmly with pliers (so
the union chunk won't slide) slide the already remaining half of the union
into the open piece of tubing.  Make sure the ends butt up against each
other smoothly.

Use the torch and slightly damp rag to get excess solder off the outside of
the joint.  Polish up with 400 sandpaper and steel wool.

Smooth!

- Gomez

It it weird in here, or is it just me?