winding the primary?

hi all,

i am winding my primary and it is really starting to hack me off! i am using
1/4in od copper tube. it is a pancake coil that is 9 turns and it wont stay
in place does anyknow "the KEY" to getting a perfet primary? i have seen
some real nice ones and i just cant see how. some say just work
slowly...well that dount seem to work i haev spent more time on the primary
then i spent winding the secondary.

also i am looking for a varic ya i have seen them for sale but ya know $$ is
always a issue and they are likr 160 dollers does that seem right? does
anyone know how i can optian one for cheaper or is this as cheap as they
come?

thanks alot,

MIKE