Re: winding the primary?

Hi Sundog, Mike,

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "sundog" <sundog-at-timeship-dot-net>
>
> Hi Mike, all
>
>  My "secret" weapon is a $20 bag of zipties from Home Depot.  It's a big bag
> 'o 1000 of 'em.  Drill 2 little holes, 1 on each side of the support, on
> opposite sides of the tubing, and run a ziptie thru the bottom and over the
> tube.  That keeps the ziptie head under the primary, and out of sight.

I fully agree here. Zip ties are quick and easy. The way I did it was to drill
just one hole through the runner directly under the primary winding points. Run
the zip tie up through the hole - around the primary winding - and back down
through the same hole locking the zip tie on the bottom of the runner - lastly
clipping off the excess. Also, when winding the primary, this allows the
primary-to-runner point to be locked in position without movement allowing you
to work the next runner (that's the key to a nice looking primary, IMHO). This
keeps the primary perfectly centered in position and privides a litle standoff
from the runner itself. There is also little chance of indenting the copper
tubing from too much zip torque. I used 1/4" zip ties and 1/4" drill bit.

Bart