hydroforming : was water spark gaps

Original poster: "bob golding" <yubba-at-clara-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Ed Phillips" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

.  I used to wander down the line for amusement, and
> remember one of the machines they used for forming fairly large aluminum
> panels.  It was a tank of water with a female cavity in the bottom. A
> sheet of aluminum was placed over the cavity, and a great big capacitor
> bank discharged into a spark gap in the water.  This created a pressure
> wave which then forced the aluminum into the die.  Think the process is
> called hydroforming, but that may be a generic name.

Hi all,
	Ok guys and girls, who will be the first to produce an hydroformed
toroid. It sounds like it might be easier than spinning. Get a big piece
of steel pipe bent into shape, chop it in half, weld to the bottom of a
tank, place aluminium sheet in bottom of tank, fill with water, insert
spark gap, cover and stand clear, throw switch. BANG!! one half toriod,
maybe... Anyone fill us in on the details, or let me know off list if
Terry thinks it is getting off topic*.

cheers
bob golding

>>*perfectly on-topic and above the completely impractical cutoff.  I think
conventional explosives my be more practical than a spark gap thing.  There
are a few explosive experts on the list... - Terry<<