Re: Sync gap test

Original poster: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 11/30/00 1:58:18 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<<
  Ed,

  Would do me a favor? Immediately after a run or two check the temperature,
  (by feel), of the rotating electrodes.
  I went through the same basic process as you described and found that when
  my 240bps SRSG was adjusted for best spark, four of the rotating electrodes,
  (1800rpm motor), were cool to the touch, (the other four were warm). This
  indicated to me that the gap was firing at120bps. Sure enough, when I
  removed the four cool electrodes there was no change in the operation of my
  coil.

  Next I tried to adjust the timing of the 240bps rotor by adjusting the
  firing angle so that all eight rotating electrodes were operating at the
  same temperature. I managed to achieve this, but the spark length was down
  so I decided to stick with 120bps. I don't know why I couldn't get my coil
  to work at 240bps. (A future project)!

  Regards,

  Jon >>

Jon,

Last night I ran the coil for several minutes and immediately checked the
temperature of all four rotating electrodes.  Each was just barely warm.  The
coil is in the basement with no heat, so it is probably 60 degrees in there.
All the metal parts are normally quite cold.  I would have to guess that it
is running at 240 bps, although the motor running at 3600 rpm and with the
cold air, all four of the electrodes were barely warm.

I did pull out two of the electrodes this morning so will try it on 120 bps
this weekend.

Ed Sonderman