Re: Apartment 240 power

Original poster: Tesla729-at-cs-dot-com

In a message dated 12/1/00 5:53:51 PM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<<
 Original poster: "J. B. Weazle McCreath" <weazle-at-hurontel.on.ca>

 >Original poster: "Rick" <ollopa-at-jps-dot-net>
 >
 >Well, I'll pray on my stocks, cross my fingers, and hope for a 5 acre plot
 >of land in a few years.  I've got a 15KVA 14,400v pole pig sitting in a
 >closet downstairs =).  I'm glad I don't have a 240 outlet here because I
 >surely would have killed myself by now.>>

Hi Rick,

Actually, you can hook up your pig to 120 volts. It has three low
voltage bushings, so just hook up the 120 volts between the mid-
dle bushing (ground) and one of the outer bushings (120 volts). Of
course, it will require twice as much input current as at 240 volts
and I'm sure you would quickly trip out your circuit overload protec-
tion if you tried arcing the high voltage bushings without any input
current limiting. Like Weazle said, be very careful if you intend to
try hooking up that pig!

Keeping 'em Sparking in Memphis,
David Rieben