Re: 200:1 Potential Transformer

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 12/2/00 10:13:06 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> Original poster: "tesla" <tesla-at-vortexia-dot-com>
>
>      Greetings all. I need some advice.... I just aquired a GE Super Bute
200:
> 1
>  insturment transformer. I am not entirely sure how to integrate this type
of
>  transformer into my current system. I am looking at being able to limit the
>  current on the 120 side to 14-20A, but should I run this at full voltage
(it
>  produced 24KV from 120)? Would it be better to run it at 80-90V input at
>  14-20A? I am just not sure and I do not wnat to kill a perfectly good
>  transformer by overloading it (does anybody have an idea of the current
>  handling capacity on these things?).
>      I would more than welcom any kind of advice that I can get on this one.
>
>          Thanks in advance,
>                          Jason Zuberer

Jason,

The best voltage to use will depend on your goals.  If you want
the longest possible sparks from the unit, then use the full voltage.
PT's can take a lot of abuse.  The plate on the xfrmer should say
what the VA rating is.  Mine are rated at 1.5kVA, but they can
be loaded to double or triple that, for short time periods.  If it's
1.5kV rated, then it can handle 25amps input with no trouble.

If the PT weighs about 95 Lbs, then it's probably 1.5kVA rated.

Using the full 24kV output, you'll need suitable caps to withstand
that voltage, but the good thing is that the caps can be a smaller
uF value than they would be for a lower voltage, for a given spark
length.  This keeps the losses much lower, and results in a more
efficient system.  Be sure to use extra voltage clearance distances
so nothing arcs over.

John Freau