Re: Hockey Puck Caps

Original poster: "Albert Hassick" <uncadoc-at-juno-dot-com>

Hi Matt.  I too tried a small array of ceramic caps in my earlier
adventures with a set of 15/60 neons and with four ceramic caps similar
to yours in parallel,  they were rated for 40kv.  They only lasted for a
few minutes before they "opened up" internally.  All four of them fried!
But then I came across 30 more of a murata 4700pf-at-40kv rated and decided
to try them.  I ganged them up to give me a series/parallel network.  I
piggybacked the caps to give me a rating of 80kv, which is indestructible
with a 15/60 neon setup.  I suggest you place your caps in series/
parallel (piggyback two caps in series, and then make another piggyback
set in series, and then place the two doubled series caps in parallel)
this is the only way they will hold up, since I have found that the 40kv
rating of your caps is more than likely a D.C. rating, meaning that your
caps are only good for 20kv A.C.  If used as four in parallel they will
rapidly heat up and may destruct.  Suggestion:  Get eight of the caps and
arrange them in a series/parallel network,  they should work quite well
this way.   Al.

On Sat, 02 Dec 2000 11:20:04 -0700 "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
writes:
> Original poster: Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com
>
> Hi All!
>         Has anyone had experience with hockey-puck type rf
> capacitors? I
> looking at 4 of these rated .004uf -at- 40KV. My plan is to run them in
> parallel
> to get 0.016uf -at-40 kV. With my 15/60 trannie, 60 Hz resonance
> calculates at
> 0.0106uf and the conservative safety margin of VAC(rms)*sqrt(2)*1.5
> ~32KV
> shows they should be all right from that standard. I can find
> nothing on the
> power-handling capabilities of these in my references and at $25 a
> pop, I
> don't want to pop too many! The "lumeniferous vortex" a.k.a. (4.5"
> coil) is
> already swallowing too much of my pension check. Any guidance will
> be
> appreciated.
>
> Seeking the Lightning,
>
> Matt Deming