Re: Saturable Reactor Repost?? (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 10:36:52 -0500
From: Metlicka Marc <mystuffs-at-orwell-dot-net>
To: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Subject: Re: Saturable Reactor Repost??

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Brian Foley" <ka1bbg1-at-mcttelecom-dot-com>
>
> ask me i'll try to answer. cul brian

very kind of you brian.
my biggest "i wonder" is, how much and at what voltage does the control
winding operate at? and does the control circuit very the current to the
control windings?
my units came out of some very "old" motor control drives, at the time i
didn't know anything, or never herd of a saturable reactor, i just knew they
were reactors. the plant wanted them removed from the walls in an MCR to make
room for new ABB drives, there was no way i was going to pull these things
off myself in one piece, so i gutted them and salvaged what i thought i could
use. now i'm sorry i didn't keep the circuitry because most of it was driven
off of control transformers, i'm sure i could have used 120vac to run this
reactor, but hind sight is my strongest traight.
i've done some search's for saturable reactors and came up with some info,
even some nice post's on pupman, but no talk of control. these things are so
massive that i just can't imagine them not being large current orientated,
and they ran 55 and 75 hp runs of motors in service. i checked the windings
and it seems i damaged one of them when i dropped it, almost on my foot,
while taking it out of the cabinet, oh well it's a nice core.
i also have a couple, straight "i guess" reactors that have flat wire
windings and a poly separator in the core. these have only two wires going
into them, 4g motor lead, very heavy. i can't figure how to use these for the
two hots in 240v pigs? one would be great because i could very the thickness
of the spacer to get the desired current.
any help will be great.
marc