Re: How do I work out secondary former diameter? (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 10:00:18 EST
From: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: How do I work out secondary former diameter? (fwd)

In a message dated 12/6/00 9:56:06 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

>  Are there any rules of thumb for decicing the secondary former diameter?
>  What are the advantages/disadvantages?
>
>  I will be using a 15/60 NST, 1600 turn secondary, not sure what size
>  toriod yet.
>
>  TIA
>  Seth Fischer

Seth,

The form must be large enough (tall enough) so it doesn't arc
over and be destroyed.  In an optimal design at 120 bps, such
an NST can give a 65" spark output, so the form should be at
least 28" tall.  The diameter should be 5 to 8" in diameter.
These are just practical figures, based on experience.  The
toroid should be about 6" by 26" dryer duct or larger.

JOhn Freau