Re: New Capacitor (fwd)

Original poster: Tesla List Moderator <mod1-at-poodle.pupman-dot-com>

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 14:24:16 EST
From: Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: New Capacitor (fwd)

In a message dated 12/5/00 10:43:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

<<
 you can probably figure out the type of capacitor by just comparing against
the Maxwell catalog..  The high rep rate caps are significantly larger for
the voltage/capacitance than the usual 1pps energy storage units.  An example
of analyzing some data for Maxwell caps is at
http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~jimlux/hv/caplife.htm, where I look at the
difference in size between similar ly rated caps, except for life.

 And, as Bert points out, Maxwell makes both polypropylene and mylar pulse
caps.

Jim,

I was curious about the used Maxwell cap that I recently purchased.  It is a
.032 ufd cap rated at 35 kv.  It does not say AC or DC.  The model number is
37667.  It also seems to be quite small for it's rating.  It is about 58
cubic inches, at about 30 nf which is about .5 nf per cubic inch.  My
Condenser Products caps which are .025 ufd with a 15 kv rms rated working
voltage are huge compared to this.  They are about 176 cubic inches which is
about .14 nf per cubic inch, or about 3.5 times less efficient by volume.  I
wonder if the Maxwell cap is really suited for Tesla coil use.

Ed Sonderman