Re: Pure Inductive Ballasting vs Inductive/ Resistive Ballasting (fwd)

Original poster: FutureT-at-aol-dot-com

In a message dated 12/6/00 11:39:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

> So, my question is do I need to rework my
>  control panel to incorporate some form of resistance into my ballasting
>  network to protect my pig against this "bucking," or can I keep right on
>  happily sparking along with my 240/28 amp variac and Lincoln 225 amp
>  electric arc welder? I personally haven't had much trouble with my am-
>  meter pegging out when operating my coil in this fashion and I am just
>  not fond of those power devouring, power resistors in my control circuit.
>  Also, considering that pole pigs are designed for brutal 24/7 duty in the
>  harsh outdoor environment (which includes occasional line hits from light-
>  ning strikes) for 20+ years, I don't think that I will have to worry about
>  the
>  pig giving up the ghost in typical, low duty cycle Tesla service. After
all,
>  pole pigs and PTs are just a little bit more robust than your typical
every-
>  day NST, MOT, or OBIT! Comments?
>
>  Sparking in Memphis,
>  David Rieben

David,

I would say that if you're not having a problem, then leave your
system as is.  There are other folks who don't use resistive
ballast with their pigs either and have good results.  I never use
resistive ballast with my PT systems.  I've tried it, and saw no
real difference except for some wasted power.  But others say
that their systems demand some resistance, so I'm not sure
why that is.  Maybe the way the gap design is and breakrate
and capacitor size combo conspires to demand some resistive
ballast in some systems.  Who knows?  I certainly wouldn't
worry about it.  It's possible that the arc welder has enough
losses (resistance) in it, that it's behaving like a built-in resistor.
That's another possibility.

John Freau