Re: Questions (fwd)

Original poster: Parpp807-at-aol-dot-com

Hi Simon,
We may be drifting a bit off topic here.
The electrostatic force, like the gravitational force obeys an inverse-square
law but
F is proportional to 1/distance squared, not equal to it. In either case
there is a universal constant of proportionality,  the value of which depends
upon the units chosen. Also, the laws apply to a point charge or a mass that
is very small compared to the distance.  A Tesla coil in a Faraday cage is
not a point.
Of greater concern is the strength of the EM field measured in Volts per
meter.
A Faraday shield works if the holes in the screen are smaller than the coil
wavelength.
At very short wavelengths the shield can be made of copper window screen.
Hope our ever diligent, vigilant moderator is on break time.

Cheers,
Ralph Zekelman