Re: MMC Capacitors, Spark Gap Phasing

Hi Sparky,

	I will be getting 0.056uF 1600V Panasonic caps in January.  My cost will
be about $1.80 each which includes resistors and shipping in the USA.
Right now it looks like I will be going through about 2000 of them but the
supply is pretty unlimited.  I'll post more on this in January when it is
ready to go.

When an NST or other transformer charges a cap, it does so in relation to
the AC sine voltage.  We want the gap to fire just as the voltage across
the cap is at the peak.  Thus, we us a rotary gap that spins in exact step
with the AC voltage.  By adjusting the angle, we can get it to fire at just
the right time.  The links below may explain better.

http://www.staff.ncl.ac.uk/r.e.burnett/
http://communities.msn-dot-com/WeaselsTeslaCoil
http://hot-streamer-dot-com/TeslaCoils/MyPapers/modact/modact.html

Cheers,