Re: SRSG Cap Size

Hi Adam,

At 04:11 PM 12/10/2000 -0800, you wrote:
>Is there an easy way to calculate the "ideal" LTR cap
>size for a given coil? For a 120 bps srsg with only a
>15/60, when you increase the capacitance, you quickly
>start decreasing the cap voltage when the gap fires.
>Should one assume that maximal bang size equals best
>performance? Can it be that simple? Given the psu
>size, charging rate and 120 bps, it should be easy to
>solve for c where the bang size is maximized. Is this
>correct?
>
>thanks
>Adam
>
>=====
>Adam Minchey
>yurtle_t-at-yahoo-dot-com
>www.geocities-dot-com/yurtle_t/index.htm

From an old post............

Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 20:07:41 -0700
From: "Tesla List" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Matching capacitor size to transformers

Original Poster: Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>

Hi All,

I was pondering how to best predict what size capacitor would go with what
size NST.  Also, given a NST and capacitor size, what would be the break rate.

I have come up with the following two equations based on many things:

	0.92 x ( Vo x Io - L ) / ( BPS x Vo^2 ) = C

	0.92 x ( Vo x Io - L ) / ( C x Vo^2 ) = BPS

Vo = Transformer RMS output voltage (volts)
Io = Transformer RMS output current (amps)
L = known system loss (mostly protection filter resistors) (watts)
BPS = Breaks Per Second
C = Capacitor value in Farads

The second equation is just a slight rearrangement of the first.

C is the largest cap size that a fine tuned LTR coil can charge.  Static
gap and other systems would be less but at least this provides an upper
limit.  The BPS equation my predict what the BPS of a static gap system
with say resonant charging might be.

This equation is meant to fill a void in my MMC program.  The MMC program
is good at arranging small caps to make a given capacitor, but many people
don't know what value of capacitor they need...

The equation comes from how much energy a transformer can deliver and how
many times per second it can charge a cap of a given value.  The 0.92
factor comes from my observations of my coils and basically is adjusting
for system loss.

Comments??

Cheers,

	Terry