Re: Rebuilding an OBIT

Original poster: "M Fabs by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <the_machin_shin-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Sorry, I couldn't let this one stand:

>Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz
>
>	Current doesn't saturate cores, voltage does!

Voltage cannot saturate an iron core.

If there are insufficient turns, hence a low inductance, then a voltage may
cause a high current to flow. This high current creates the magnetic field
in the core.  The changing of the current, and thus the changing of the
magnetic field (i.e. flux), is what transfers energy.  If the magnetic field
is too powerful (too much current), it will spill out of the core, because
the core can handle only so much.  The turns/volt units are simply a
convenient way of evaluating the capabilities of a winding/core, and it
already incorporates the current and inductance.

My beef is that someone might read the statement referenced, without fully
understanding that it is a simplification.

Sorry to nitpick.

Michael.
_________
Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn-dot-com