Re: 155 KV 100 MA Rectifiers & AC Meters

Original poster: "Dr. Duncan Cadd by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <dunckx-at-freeuk-dot-com>

Subject: 155 KV 100 MA Rectifiers & AC Meters

>Original poster: "Tedd Payne by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<teddp-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Hi Tedd et al!

Since so many of you can build synchronous rotary gaps, why not make
synchronous
rotary bridge rectifiers?  The technology is identical, the sparking contacts
and general construction can be much lighter duty (e.g. stiff wires instead of
solid disk with tungsten studs) since the charging current is seldom over
an amp
or two.  There is no maximum current and no peak inverse volts rating, nor any
objections to rf.  Should be ideal for Tesla use.

When I get my webpage up and running (don't hold your breath) I will post at
least one photo of these things, but all it is, is a synchronous motor, an
insulated shaft, and a couple of "bridging" wires.  An ASCII drawing is
probably
going to convey not a lot and having tried it I gave up!  They were used for
real prior to thermionic valves becoming man enough for the job, i.e. up to
around 1920-ish for hospital X-ray tube service, e.g. a set by Siemens Brothers
and Halske of 250kV (this is the photo I will post) so the odd 10kV or two will
be no bother.  If you already have a synchronous gap, you could mount a
mechanical rectifier bridge on the same shaft for dc operation.

It'll be a month before my site is done (at least - I've only just started) but
I'll post details here when it's working.  If you are desperate, email me and I
can send you a jpeg off list.

Dunckx
G0UTY (ex-ON9CHU)