Re: EMI filter hookup

Original poster: "Mike Novak by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <acmnovak-at-email.msn-dot-com>

Gary,
It seems to me your EMI filter died doing it's job. I guess all that RF
finally caught up with it... Slap a purple hearton it and buy a new one.
Corcom filters can be bought for approx. $5 surplus, so don't fret. I don't
think anyone should disconnect their filter just because it could die,
because they're cheap (compared to your entire house circuitry). I seriously
doubt one could say that it fed more RF back into the house without some
hard evidence...
My .0002304 Cents,

-Mike

> Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>"
<Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

> Last week I changed several components on my coil which required that I
> experimentally retune it.  I was perhaps 1-2 minutes into this tuning when
> performance suddenly diminished, the circuit breaker tripped, and a
burning
> smell filled the garage.  It turns out that my 30 Amp Corcom EMI filter
had
> toasted.  I had been using this filter for well over a year with no
problems
> and I'm sure that my 15/60 NST was not pulling more than 20 Amps.
>
> I examined the hookup and came to the conclusion that one or more of the
> filter's internal caps had been over-volted by the hookup configuration.
> had connected the filter "backwards" as is frequently suggested, with the
> LINE side connected to the NST primary.  The 3rd wire ground from the wall
> is not used anywhere in the coil beyond the variac so I was connecting the
> RF ground to the filter's case instead.
>
> I now believe that in a configuration where the filter is located at the
NST