Re: Small TC experiments

Original poster: "Ed Phillips by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net>

Tesla list wrote:

<paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

> In trying to get acmi to run under DOS,
>
> I wrote:
>
> >> You should be doing something like
> >>
> >>    C:\ACMI> acmi < bart.in
>
> Ed Phillips <evp-at-pacbell-dot-net> wrote:
>
> > My problem may be that I've never figured out how to get out of the
> > WINDOWS directory while running in DOS PROMPT.
>
> Probably not necessary to leave C:\WINDOWS, since that's where windows
> will probably have dumped the downloaded files.
>
> > Haven't had a chance to just use a DOS boot yet, but will try that
> > before bothering you again.
>
> Shouldn't be necessary to boot into DOS. The 'DOS box' launched from
> within windows should be quite alright.
>
> > By the way, could any file name be where you have "bart.in"? In
> > other words, is the suffix necessary?
>
> Suffix can be anything you like. You might prefer to use .txt so that
> when you click on the file in windows, it will know to open it with
> an application that handles plain ASCII text files.
>
> Note that acmi expects the 'input' file to be piped into the program,
> which is why you start it like 'acmi < bart.in', the '<' makes DOS
> open the input file and send it's contents into the program. The
> reason for this is that when I use acmi under unix, the input often
> comes not from a file but directly from the output of another program
> which generates transformer descriptions (the acmi output pipes to
> another program and the whole shebang is scripted to optimise for
> the required coupling). If you just type 'acmi' without the input
> redirection, acmi will just sit there waiting for the transformer
> description to come from the keyboard - thus almost anything you then
> type will be met with the error message 'unrecognised statement' from
> acmi.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> BTW, the syntax of the input files gives away the fact that acmi was
> put together by cutting and pasting bits of the tssp simulator code.
> It's open-ended which means that we can introduce extra keywords if
> necessary to specify things like resistance and parasitic capacitance.
> I plan to exploit this to make a slight extension to the code, so that
> the 'secondary {}' clause will contain room for specifications of the
> coil's equivalent reactances and Q factor. Then acmi can print out the
> input impedance seen into the primary terminals.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Paul Nicholson,
> Manchester, UK.
> --

Paul:

	All works fine now, WHEN I follow your directions!  Had a bit of
trouble getting the .txt file to work, but that was due to my own
ignorance.  Next step here will be to compare your answers with ones I
get with my own programs for the special case of coaxial solenoids.

	By the way, my copy of Grover seems to have vanished in my last office
move!  Went through about 10 boxes of books and can't find it!  All I
have is a copy of chapters 16 and 17.  Sure it will show up some day,
but probably when I no longer need it.

Thanks for your patience,

Ed