Re: Toroid from inner tube

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <MaverickIce00-at-aol-dot-com>

Hi Alan,

I think this was already suggested by Gregory Hunter (if my memory serves me
correctly), but with all the talk about fiberglass coated Al duct, I think it
might be possible to fill the thing with some sort of fibergalss resin that
would work just as well. Basically, one could find an inner tube with the
right ratio of diameters (outer :cross section) and find some way of filling
it with the resin until the proper size is reached. Then you could just shape
it as it dries, getting rid of all the imperfections and forming it into a
nice donut shape in the process. Then when it dries, cut off the inner tube
and sand it down, then add some more coats of resin then coat the thing with
Al tape. I'm not sure how expensive fiberglass resin is, but if it isn't
cheap, you could always use it on a small toroid with maybe a wheelbarrow
tire inner tube or something along those lines. An advantage of this would be
that one could fill the ! tu! be to nearly whatever size they want, without
overfilling it and making it burst, which would probably be quite messy... I
haven't tried this yet, so it might not even work, but it probably should.
Any suggestions?

Just a thought,

- Josh Hunsaker -

Denver, Colorado
Email/AIM - MaverickIce00-at-aol-dot-com