Re: NST PFC cap question

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

Original poster: "kevin wilson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <
thebiggiantkevin-at-hotmail-dot-com>

I actually did have the caps in parallel with the 120V input; the two caps I
used were in series with each other. It gets hard to explain with all the
series and parallel going on (sorry). Thanks for your information, I do
appreciate it, but leads me to a couple more questions. Where can I find
these run caps, and how much should I expect to pay for them? Are they
generally relatively rugged- will used ones be almost as good as new? Thanks
for the help, Kevin

Hi Kevin & All

You should able to get these caps from any "surplus-dot-com" for about
$1.50-$2.50 each, but my favorite source of this type of cap (25-35uf ~340V)
is dead window-style air conditioners. I find that most thrown away units
have a perfectly good cap and blower motors in them. I usually haul them
home, gut them, and let the city pick up the remains the next week.
Refrigerators, freezers, washing machines, dish washers, and dryers are also
sources, but the carcass is harder to lug around and dispose of. I also
collect dead MWO's, giving friends and neighbors $4-$5 each unit if they
deliver it to me, but that's another topic.

Reduce-Reuse-Recycle (Save money-scavenge-collect junk)

Matt D.

Matt D.