Re: TC Coupling & Mutual Inductance

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-worldnet.att-dot-net>

All -

TC coupling tests are relatively easy to do with small coils. Several years
ago in order to show coilers how the JHCTES Ver 2.3 program and tests will
agree I designed, built, and tested a small coil and made a brief report of
the results. I included this report in my books but apparently coilers were
not very interested in tests and I did not have many comments.

The report shows schematics for testing several TC parameters including
coupling, total secondary capacitance, operating frequency, etc. It also
shows how to determine the actual capacitance of the toroid when it is on
the secondary. The mutual inductance is found by

    Lm = K sqrt(LpxLs)

The report includes brief details on the Tc construction, a computer
printout, and the results of my tests. I still have copies of the report and
would be willing to send this information to any coiler who sends me a self
addressed stamped envelope.

John Couture
10823 New Salem Point
San Diego, CA 92126