Reparing neon transformer

Original poster: "Super Duper by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <acetylene-at-lycos-dot-com>

Hello all,

I have a Jefferson Electric 9000V 60mA neon transformer that has failed
primary.  It was brought out of storage few weeks ago.  Upon plugging in
this thing started to hiss.  I pulled the top off to see what was
happening.  It was starting to smoke, then this thing started to spray out
molten tar out of crack on tar like a volcanoe.  It was still producing
high voltage, so I put the lid back on and kept the power on.  As the time
went by this thing was getting louder each second.  Then the circuit
breaker feeding the outlet tripped.  I am suspecting that primary is shot.
The list mentions about fixing secondary, but not about primary.  I can't
plug this in to "cook" it because it will overheat severely or trip the
breaker.    Is this thing total loss?

Get FREE Email/Voicemail with 15MB at Lycos Communications at
http://comm.lycos-dot-com