Re: New spark record

Original poster: "Jason Johnson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <hvjjohnson13-at-hotmail-dot-com>

----- Original Message -----
From: Tesla list <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Sunday, December 24, 2000 12:46 PM
Subject: Re: New spark record

<FutureT-at-aol-dot-com>

> In a message dated 12/23/00 6:45:44 PM Eastern Standard Time,
> tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:
>
> Jason,
>
> That's an excellent result using just two MOT's.  I used 4 of them
> in series and only got 63" sparks, at 4kVA.
>
> To have the coil running on a 15amp 120 volt line along with the
> compressor too, and get 6.5 foot sparks, is truly amazing,

Well 6.5  foot if you count all the curves and turns of the sparks. 63" is
about all mine were point to point, and the air compressor doesn't draw that
much, probably around 2 amps max (it's little), not to mention that when I
run at full power it only takes a little over one minute to trip the breaker
(the gap power arcs and starts drawing alot of power).

> especially with the MOT, small secondary and somewhat low
> voltage.  It shows that the 28awg wire can perform well even with
> longer sparks than my 42" TT-42 sparks.  Undoubtedly the large
> toroid is helping too.  My similarly sized secondary develops racing
> sparks when I reach 63" sparks or so at 120 bps.  This suggests to
> me that your coil is firing at a higher break rate,

Your right about the higher breakrate. The spark gap is firing very fast and
gets to a very high pitch scream when it heats up, I also have the racing
sparks however when I turn up the power, but only when I don't have a
breakout bump. What size capacitor are you using at 120 bps? I'm using all
of 110 nf and I would guestimate 300+ bps from the pitch of the gap.

 which makes the
> results all the more spectacular.  Are you saying that the coil
> produces 5 simultaneous streamers?

No. I wish I had that many, but I meant that I saw five sparks that hit the
ground alltogether. There was a several second space between these sparks as
if the coil was building up its energy to put into one big spark. I couldn't
keep this up however because there were too many racing sparks between the
large sparks. Also interesting was that I was getting another 1-2 two foot
sparks at the same time as one big one. I think I need a larger secondary
and topload.

> Are you using a voltage doubler with the MOT's?  Do you have
> a website that shows the coil?

No and No. I'm running the MOTs without any modifications or additions
(besides being in an oil bath). I just apply the raw 4800 volts to the tank
circuit. As for the website I'm working on one that seems to be a big pain
in the butt, I keep having problems uploading it and putting it together for
that matter. I may be able to get up a simple page dedicated to the MOT coil
in a few days. I'll have to get some pictures first (i've taken two rolls of
film with a cheap disposable camera and another crappy camera and none of
them turned out. Maybe Santa will get me a nice digital camera :-)

MOTs rule
Jason Johnson