Re: Aluminum tape

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <davep-at-quik-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Oxandale, Terry by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-uswest-dot-net>" <Toxandale-at-SPP-dot-org>

> Please don't laugh when I ask pose this concern about Aluminum tape. It
> seemed to me that if aluminum tape is wrapped around an object (such as
> a toroid), that the end result would be a round helical winding of
> aluminum tape, rather than a solid surface toroid. I reason this to be
> because the sticky backing on the backside of the tape is
> non-conductive. I overlaped two pieces tonight to verify this and found
> that they had no conductance between the two of them. I eventually did
> get a connection after rubbing the edges real hard, but this seemed to
> me to be rather undesireable (inductance in your toroid???).

	In addition to other comments:
	Voltages/fields on the toroid are high.  conductivity as masured
	with, say a 1V ohmeter may be quite different that that
	_in_ _operation_ with corona ta the edges, bridging the insulation.
		(It might be intstructive to run such a toroid under
		breakout, in the dark, and look for corona at the edges.
		Might be hard to see...)

	Also, tape with conductive insulation is available (tho
	probably not easily....).  It's uses in RFI/EMC wprk
	to bond surfaces...

	best
	dwp