[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE Arcs off the fingers and getting killed in the process...

Hi Robert,

Thanks for sharing this interesting information.

Arcing through yourself to ground is just about the equivalent of
discharging a primary cap through yourself.  If the primary cap is charge
to say 3 joules, that energy transfers to you and the top terminal, at
perhaps 50pF at 200kV.  If you place yourself in the circuit, you are the
only power dissipating resistance.  I think all the energy will discharge
in a single cycle making the current pulse basically DC.  Since you are the
"high resistance", all the energy is dissipated in your body (it is sort of
odd talking to a high voltage resistor directly ;-)))

Assuming 50pF at 200kV and guessing you are about 1k ohm, The RC time
constant is 1/20millionth of a second.  That is just a good powerful DC
jolt of 20000 amps!!  Sort of like a medical defibrillator (I guess the
opposite actually :-O).  Note that this effect is also true of a grounded
person reaching out toward a coil...  The streamer resistance should add a
substatntial resistance also that may "save your bacon" but the danger is
obvious...

Since negative charges arc much easier than positive charges, the arcs have
a pretty high DC component just to air.  That is what you feel.  Then there
is that microwave oven style heating in your body that causes the headaches
as the veins and arteries in your head get heated.  The brain is pretty
sensitive to that...

I think such discussions will serve to convince everyone to be even more
carful.  I think trying to hid the truth only makes things worse.  I don't
know why you do this but I guess you get something (perhaps a "charge" out
of it ;-))) out of it...

I have to admit, I sure is fun watching OTHER people do it!!! ;-))

http://members.aol-dot-com/krampf/watt.html
http://members.aol-dot-com/krampf/home.html

Hopefully, Jeff will get Dean Ortner's clip up soon too.

I wonder, have you noticed any heath effects from doing this?  I can't
think of a similar type of electrical exposure...  Brent Turner wires the
current around himself, as Bill mentions, but I think you and Dean Ortner
have carried the currents through your bodies for a substantial number of
years now...

Cheers,

	Terry