[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Getting killed and federal licences

     Folks,

     First, let me say that I agree with everyone's comments about the
     importance of safety procedures and knowledge when playing with HV.  I
     have been fortunate that my introduction to Coiling has come from
     Austin Richards, of "Dr. Megavolt" faraday suit/Sizzler
     commercial/Burning Man fame.  Helping out as a crew member on his
     astounding Burning Man shows for the last couple years has been
     incredible fun, and has given me the motivation to construct my own
     coil. (woohoo! just finished the 6" secondary!)

     Moreover, working with Austin has given me an enormous respect for the
     danger of working with TCs, and the knowledge and planning that goes
     into a "stunt" like interacting with a big coil in a faraday suit.
     It's allowed me to approach my new hobby with the caution it deserves.
     It would be nice if all new coilers could have a mentor to, if nothing
     else, impress them with the danger of throwing sparks around.

     I am a little nervous about Jeff Parisse's desire for a federally
     licensed Tesla professional review.  I understand the concern that
     some ill-prepared freak might kill himself and ruin the party for
     those who actually make a living doing it.  But, I worry that
     involving the Feds in a regulatory fashion with anything is just
     asking for trouble, extra fees, and red tape. . .

     Anyway, that's my $.02.  Check out Austin's new website at:

     www.drmegavolt-dot-com

     thanks,
     paul