[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Arcs off the fingers and getting killed in the process...

Hi all,
          I've been following this thread with much interest, particularly
as I have taken quite a few body shots from various coils
(deliberately).  I think there is a very significant difference between
attracting sparks to oneself while standing in well insulated footwear
on a non conducting surface and letting the sparks emanate from
oneself while sitting atop a HV terminal, *especially* if sparks in the
latter case attach to some object. In the first case there is a degree
of impedance in the discharge path. In the second case ???

Some observations of shocks from coil secondary discharges:

- Low X, high C secondaries are the worst.  Single shot mode can
be especially "shocking".  Ever been zapped by a car ignition coil
operating at a few tens of mJ ?

- Attaching to sparks at a length which causes the streamers to
coalesce at one end seem to be the worst short of bright single
channel streamers taken at maximum length (rectification effects
going on).

- You can charge up to a significant DC potential by attracting max
length sparks from a normally operating coil (repetitive). Just
occasionally you are reminded of this when your potential exceeds
the insulation rating of your rubber soled shoes.

Finally and because this is all about safety, I was appalled several
years ago to see someone who will remain nameless experimenting
on video in bare feet.  (/maximumcringe = on).

Regards,
Malcolm