[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: HIcks HV Caps (was Re:MMC Charging)

Hi Malcolm,
                  as various uk coilers have x-ray transformers this had
occured to me, however I've got enough on at the moment without another coil
(I've got 2, and am building 2 more).  The caps were originally out of an
induction hardening machine - they ran at 60kVAC at about 1.6MHz with pulses
up to about 500kW and rms power 30kW, the reservoir caps were quite a sight
(literally 4 wardrobes worth of them).

Regards
Nick Field

> Original Poster: "Malcolm Watts" <malcolm.watts-at-wnp.ac.nz>
>
> Hi Nick,
>
> > Original Poster: "Megavolt Nick" <tesla-at-fieldfamily.prontoserve.co.uk>
> >

> > Hi Ralph,
> >               yes - I have a pair and am seeking more - unfortunately I
got
> > a pair of 150kVDC units - one 3000pF and one 4000pF - not too much use
for
> > tesla coiling. I am using them as the tank cap in a small obit powered
coil,
> > not too much danger of them failing :-)
> >
> > Regards
> > Nick Field
>
> I think you have a grand opportunity to build a reasonably powerful
> coil with a very desirable attribute - a high Xp.  An X-ray PS should
> get you into the ballpark for energy.
8.75J per break at 50kV - I'd probably go down to about 5J/break and derate
the caps a little.