[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Home Made Variac

Hi Michael,
                  you're not gonna save money by building your own.  A $15A
110V variac goes for $30 surplus.  The only place you will get a variac core
is out of a variac, and if you've got a variac you don't need to build your
own.  If you're really skint then try to pick up a burnt out variac for
nothing and then rewind it.
To build a variac, on a one off basis, for less than $30 is near to
impossible - they cost the manufacturers who turn out hundreds of them,
therefore get quantity discounts on all the materials, at least $60 to make.
If you really can't afford it then use the multi taped auto transformer
suggestion.

Regards
Nick Field