[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

TT-42 Update and photos

      snip
<< i still have to test it with a NST which will be the final design, and
> mount all the parts onto a small wooden base, etc.  I also may install
> a small 1.5" by 6" toroid below the main toroid to help reduce strikes
> to the primary if they continue.

All,

Updating my post here:

Some sparks still struck the primary even with the small flat primary,
so I added the small 6" toroid below the main 13" toroid.  this raised
the main toroid by about 2" and stopped the strikes to the primary
as expected.  This gives the coil an interesting look and also improved
the tuning, so the coil
runs smoother now.  I also tried cranking up the power to 1200 watts,
which cause racing sparks to begin to form near the bottom of the
secondary.  The primary is 1" from the secondary, and the secondary
is raised 1/2" above the primary.  I didn't measure the coupling.  At
1000 watts, there are no racing sparks.  I plan to run the coil at about
600 to 700 watts, so there's a good margin of safety.

The coil and rotary gap can be seen at:

http://members.aol-dot-com/FutureT/TT-42index.html