[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Home Made Variac

In a message dated 2/6/00 2:21:21 AM Central Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

<< Use a long, solid metal bar coated with mica (not that hard to find) >>

Michael,
Huh? how do you coat something with mica?

Also, I would respectfully suggest that you forget about building a variac. A
ten or 15 Amp
variac is an essential tool for anyone playing with electricity. I would
expect to pay around $150. Even pricey Newark had a nice one on sale just
recently. I mounted my variac
in a wooden box with AC volt and ammeters. Cheap ones like the kind you can
get from
Marlin Jones or Radio Schlok. I also have it fused. :-))

Cheers,
Ralph Zekelman