[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

second light!

Hi,

I finally got my transparency sheet cap fully assembeld and the
optoelectronic mains switcher design improved and working flawlessly.
*Phew*.

Yesterday powered up the whole tabletop 1.8"x9" TC assembly for the first
time after I had dumped those the awful beer bottle caps. That 8nF
transp.sheet cap really works miracles - no corona, no RF losses. Maybe I
was lucky with the sheet material, because the cap stays nice and cool,
even during "constant" operation (>10 min). My best recommendations for
this cap type!

Now, the fantastic result is I get wonderful 7" purple-to-white
streamers to air, and 13" hits to a grounded rod! Beats by far what I had
hoped to achieve with this small TC! 8-)

One question for further improvement:
is there any power handling limit for increasing the tank cap size?
I mean could the 1.8" diameter AWG#28 wound coil handle the energy dump
from a larger, say 20nF at same voltage, cap? Is there a formula for
maximum energy in relation to coil diameter?
Also, I'd guess a lower resonant frequency would be better(?) for future
designs, because less cycles can pass until the spark gap is quenched?

many thanks,
Jan

--
 Jan Florian Wagner
 jwagner-at-cc.hut.fi, petwag-at-kolumbus.fi