[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Call for info on Regulatory info

A recent discussion with my wife regarding the legalities of tesla coiling
(and garage nuclear research, but that's another story), and her complaints
about my "determining regulatory status by dialectic" approach, has
prompted me to put together a compendium of any and all regulatory info
that may apply to TC's.

If anyone has information on laws, regulations, etc., I'd appreciate it if
you could email me (off list) with the rules, a citation telling where to
find it, or, ideally, a web link to the info (for instance, all of the
California Code is on line, so I can just link to it, as is most of 47 CFR
(FCC rules)).  Not just building and electrical codes, but relevant
references to things like "public nuisance", "creating a hazard" etc, would
also be helpful.

I'm particularly interested in things like references that you think might
be relevant in the "electrical code" (yes, I know it's not on line, but if
you give me a section number, I can look it up, etc.)..  Or, if someone has
jumped through the UL hoops (or similar), what published specifications
were referenced in the UL analysis.

I am also interested in any relevant judicial decisions, etc. (not that I
think there are any) that anyone knows of. And, if anyone knows of a
building permit that was (required or) issued for a TC installation, I'd
like to hear about it.

There are, obviously, distinctions between "sale as a consumer item" (like
the little TC from Edmund Scientific, and others) , "installations as a
fixed display" (like Wysock's display at Fry's, or the permanent installs
in "Alien Encounter" at Disneyworld), "installations as a temporary
display" (like a haunted house, or a stage show), and "laboratory research
in a commercial environment " (i.e. in a commercially zoned property) and
"lab research in a residence" (i.e. in your garage or living room).

I don't want proprietary information (which the UL analysis might be, in
some cases)..

I don't expect preparing the compendium to be a speedy process, but, it
might help to have something to refer to, rather than "I think that the
code prohibits TC's"... we could refer to a page that has the references
called out and just go look it up, and, if questions arise, quote "chapter
and verse".....rather than laborious searches each time through the Cal
Code, or whatever.

I already have 47 CFR (FCC rules), and the ANSI RF radiation standards.

Thanks in advance...

jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net