[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Photos

I agree that Velvia is a great film.  For landscape slides especially, it
has no equal.  For coil shots though, I most often shoot print film, and I
would like to recommend Fuji Reala.  It's the best print film I've used for
night photography, and for beginners it's more forgiving of incorrect
exposure settings than Velvia.  Print film in general has more exposure
latitude.

As for f-stop, I would recommend a little experimentation here.   If you
find yourself with weak looking streamers and want more body to the sparks,
you can stop down a little bit and go for a longer exposure.  Arcs are
bright, and you'll have no problem getting them on film even with small
aperatures.  Some of my better lightning exposures were at f/22.  Take a
look:

    http://albums.photopoint-dot-com/j/AlbumIndex?u=66242&a=483143

I had to use long exposure times because I never knew when the lightning was
going to strike.  This meant using as small an aperature as possible, to
avoid recording excessing thermal noise.  You'll see that the photos are
over-jpeged, but that's photopoint's fault- they recompress them.

-Adam
adamsmith-at-mediaone-dot-net
http://people.ne.mediaone-dot-net/adamsmith/tesla/index.html