[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Help with tubecoil

Hello, I would have to differ from Dr. R's opinion. I have had good luck
with using coils using a winding ratio between 4:1 to 4.5:1 with #28
magnet wire. A 3" X 13" coil using #28 produced 24" sparks at less then
2KW power using two 833A's (both tubes only had one flament working). "I"
would start with 25-30 turns of #12 PVC insulated wire close wound as the
primary and tap down to find best impedance match, which, by the way, is
the real hassle. Grid feedback is indeed good to monitor current on as Dr.
R said. You can see my Audio modulated Tube coil schematic at (produced a
max of 10" sparks Amplitude modulated CW) :

http://www.pond-dot-net/~davidt/webdoc2.htg/Tube_coil/Audio_mod.html

And John Freau's coil schematic at:

http://www.pond-dot-net/~davidt/webdoc2.htg/Tube_coil/Staccato.htm

Both of these designs can be modified for any tube, etc.
I have never used parasitic supresion chokes on my coils, only RF bypass
caps to protect AC mains, etc.

Good luck,

David Trimmell
http://www.pond-dot-net/~davidt