[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: New Neon Transformer Farm Found

To measure the voltage, get a 6.3 V filament transformer. Feed the 6.3 V
(measure it!) into the 120V winding of the NST.  Measure the output voltage
from each output to ground/case (it will be about 400V). multiply by 19
(120/6.3) to get the nominal open circuit voltage.
Alternate approach (not recommended, especially if the secondary of the NST
is shorted), apply 120V to the HV winding, and measure the voltage on the
primary.

To measure output current, get a 0-100 mA meter (typically a 0-1 mA with a
suitable shunt), put a diode bridge around it, and hook it across the
output of the NST.  Apply AC power, measure current.  I do NOT recommend
doing this with a DVM, because if one of the HV leads is open (or shorted
to ground) (inside the NST), the case of the meter will float up to several
kV above ground and the possibility of arcing inside is quite great.