[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Skin effect and other phenomenon

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: Wallace Edward Brand <webrand-at-brandlaw.dgsys-dot-com>
>
> The skin effect is applicable to a material of uniform consistency.
Where you
> have a body with bones, muscle, blood vessels, etc, each with a different
> conductivity, I wouldn't rely on the skin effect to help you.  What does
> help is
> the fact that high frequency appears to interfere with the body functions far
> less than 60 cycles.  I learned of this from Bert Hickman.  He is the expert.
> Maybe you can get him to to post on the subject.

	"Skin effect" is caused by the magnetic field in the wire tending to
force the current to the outer surface.  It has nothing to do with
animal skin.  As an experiment, take two parallel wires touching each
other, and pass a current through each of them; they will repel each and
try to form the wires into a circle. The same thing happens in the wire,
except that the innards of the wire can't move, so the current does.  It
can't go any further than the surface of the wire, of course. The skin
depth is inversely proportional to the square root of the product
frequency and the resistivity of the wire, or any other material for
that matter.  Low frequencies and high resistivities (such as human
flesh) thus result in increased skin depth.  Don't depend on it to
protect you from anything!!

Ed