[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Spinning Toroids

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Andy Cleary" <gemware2-at-dreamscape-dot-com>
>
>         Has anyone on the list tried spinning their own toroids?  I have
seen them
> for sale, were they home-made or commercially made?  The reason why I ask is
> this- I received a new Lindsay Publications catalog today in the mail, and
> in it are three inexpensive books, telling how to spin your own metal
> objects (vases, bowls, and it even mentions terminals for HV use!).  The
> books are very inexpensive, ranging from 4.95-9.95.  According to the blurb,
> all that is needed is sheetmetal, a lathe, and a few simple tools.  It
> sounds simple, and I was curious if anyone has tried it?

John Freau makes nice toroids by spinning:
http://members.aol-dot-com/FutureT/index.html
I make balls for electrostatic devices by spinning:
http://www.coe.ufrj.br/~acmq/spinning

The technique is essentially simple, but not very easy to master.
If you want to try, start with small pieces, and be prepared to
fill some wastebaskets with trashed tries before you learn the
tricks...

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz