[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Variac Parallel Choke Questions

I have two 10A Powerstats that I plan to run in parallel.

Mechanicals:

Regarding the common shaft, the list consensus (thanks folks) seems to be
that any material of the right size and sturdyness will suit, as long as
it's electrically isolated, so you don't form a closed electrical loop
around the core (thanks Terry).  I'm going to go with thick walled stainless
tubing, simply because I have it sitting here on my desk.

Electricals:

Regarding the electrical connections, a search of the archives reveals that
some list members have had success just adjusting the rotor to the same
voltage, without any choke.  Any reports of failures or hot-running using
this kind of setup would certainly be appreciated, since this option
certainly is the easiest, if it works ok.

However, other listees have stated that a "parallel choke" is desirable and
perhaps necessary to longevity of the equipment.   My problem is that I
don't understand the explanations of such that I have found in the archives,
and can't even tell if they are recommending the same thing, exactly.  (I
should mention that a large part of my new interest in coiling flows from my
desire to learn about elektrissity, and I tend to learn better if I have a
challenging and interesting project to throw myself into, despite the
obvious problems of getting in over my head.) I would be very happy to be
directed towards a drawing/schematic or more detailed instructions regarding
how to follow this procedure.

I've included some snippets of pertinent advice from the archives below, for
those interested.  If you've been on the list for many years and don't want
to re-read old material, please stop reading here.  My questions/comments
will be bracketed.