[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: Toploads that bite

Ted Rosenberg wrote to the list:

> You suggest discharging the EMMC even with the use of
10Mohms across each cap.

> Should I only use 4AWG or so with clamps to discharge or, due
to some bleeding by the resistors, can I safely install a big amp
carrying SPST switch...maybe spring loaded so I don't forget to
open the short once discharged. Thoughts?

Ted,

As it comes to safety I don't trust "automatic" devices like spring
loaded relays/switches. And I'm afraid of shorting caps with an
unknown charge also.
You might want to include a safety gap (with a series resistor) in
parallel to the cap.The series resistor is essential in order not to
exceed the maximum current of the cap in case of a flashover. If
you placed this safety gap so that you can access it easliy, it's a
perfect means to discharge the cap as well: Put a piece of copper
tube attached to an insulating handle across it and leave it there
until you want to operate the system.

Safe coiling to you!

Regards			^Herwig