[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: multiple gap question

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Megavolt Nick" <tesla-at-fieldfamily.prontoserve.co.uk>
>
> Hi Scot,
>             just wondered if you could post details of your set up and the
> output you're getting - Just for a little sg performance comparison.
>
> Regards
> Nick Field

snipperz...

the system is a 10KVA pole pig (240-->14400) running on .0263uF Cap
(measured) the primary is 3/8" tubing with 3/8" spacing  tapped at 13.2
turns primary is at 7 degrees inverted conical    secondary is #22 wire
on an 8X36 form of lexan  wire wound length is 32.75"  Im using 2
toroids   a small one at 4X18 (odXod) and a 7X26 on top of the smaller
one..  the distance between top of secondary wind to bottom of first
toriod is 5.5"   spark gap is the linear opposed "RQ" cooled with the
output air from a shop vac...   Im using 3 EI cores each wound with #10
solid copper THHN insulation as inductor current limiters ( reluctance
gaps vary to have 3 different amp draws) (( 5 amps, 10 amps, and 15
amps) this gives me various amperage control ( 5,10,15,20,25,30 amps )
by turning on a combination of 3 switches...

preformance is ...
5 amps .. multiple streamers ( 8 - 10") and lots of corona around toroid
10 amps... minimal corona at toroid with multiple streamers 24"
20amps...  corona at secondary top   36-40" dual streamers  strikes to
ground rail (dist. is 37" from rail top to top toroid outer dia.)
25 amps... less corona at secondary top 40 - 48" dual streamers
30 amps... even less corona ( maybe i dont see it any more due to the
increased lite from the streamers) single streamer ( rare occasion dual)
60-70"

the activity of the streamers increases as the power is increased

i have noticed that the previous spark gap ( a single air blown set)
produced approximately the same results but at about 10% less length but
the color was more intence ( seemed to be more whitish) ... streamers
also seemed to be thicker

with the multi gap i have increased length but the streamers are more
blue/purple and thinner

since i have a modified async to sync motor now ...   im gonna try the
sync gap setup...   lets see if it is better ;)

Scot D