[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: breakout problems

<< Original Poster: "Joe Thuss" <jbthuss-at-execulink-dot-com>

> I have a small coil (600 W) and can't seem to get it to breakout without
using
> a breakout bump. Any ideas would be helpful.
> Thanks

Joe,

You didn't give us many details  to work with.  If the capacitor is
small and the toroid large, the spark may never be able to break out
no matter what.  But usually when there's no breakout it's because
the tuning is not spot-on, or the gap is working poorly.  It could even
be that the NST is weak on one side, if you're using an NST.
Sometimes the gap needs to have a fan blowing on it to cool it, and
that can help a lot, if you don't already have a fan in place.  If you
widen the gap, you'll get more power output, but you risk blowing
out the NST if you make the gap too wide.

If you're tapped at the outer turn, you may need to add another turn
or so to the primary.

Cheers,
John Freau