[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Coil Grounding

Tesla List wrote:
 > Original Poster: "Troy Peterson" <highvoltage-at-mad.scientist-dot-com>

 snip

 >   Primary xformer: E=10KV
 >                            A=23ma

 >                --- = Z = 434.78k ohms
 >
 >   Tank Capacitor:
 >                                1
 >                        C = -------- = 0.006202 uF
 >                              2piFZ
 Snip again

 >   Secondary:
 >                    Coil length: 61cm (24 inches)
 >                    Coil Diameter: 20.3cm (8 inches)
 >                Wire: 22 gauge
 >                   ohms/ft: 16.2
 >                   wire dia: 0.0285 inches
 >                   turns/inch: 37
 >                   feet/pound: 514.2
 >                   req'd length of wire: 1858.88 ft
 >            turns: 888
I'm also fairly new to coiling but don't you think that an 8" secondary is a
tad to big for 230 VA? maybe you'd be better off with a smaller secondary and
smaller wire

 >  Anyway, that's what I am planning, any comments, math errors, etc? Also, I
 > plan to use beer-bottle capacitors because of parts availability where I
 > live (small town - capacitors: hard to find, beer bottles: very easy ;)
 > could someone help me to approximatly calculate the number of bottles I
 > would need (and surface area of foil, etc) to achieve somewhere near the
 > above noted value?
Even if budget is a problem I would think that you should be able to do better
than beer bottles. A rolled cap or an mmc would be much better and not all
that
difficult/expensive. For a rolled cap I know that you can find info in the
archives and for an mmc (also info in the archives) you can get caps from
Mouser Electronics- www.mouser-dot-com or Digi-key- www.digikey-dot-com.

Don't anybody let me give Troy bad advice :-)

Jason Johnson