[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Pacmakers and Tesla coils = bad??

Hi all -

  One thing that I recall is that the actual EM field from a coil
dissapates VERY quickly when the coil energy is put into the spark
discharge. A good way to verify this is to use the unbiquitous
florescent light as a field strength meter. If you put a large topload
on your coil and retune and set the power level such that you don't get
a spark breakout, you will likely find that the radiated field is much
larger. Without changing the settings, put a corona point on the
terminal and fire it up again. See how far away the lamp lights this
time around.

   I believe Bill Wysock did some studies into this -- basically even
for a coil on his scale (*huge*) the strength of the EM field dropped
pretty drastically as you move away from the coil. (Bill - any
comments??)

   I would venture that what might be a good idea is to contact some
manufacturers of these devices and inquire as to the specs. They should
specify the maximum field strength and frequency spectra that they
warranty safe operation at. If not, then they aren't doing a good
enegineering / safety design job. Plus, if you then do an accurate FS
measurement and frequency spectra of the coil (A spectrum analyzer can
be rented for this purpose.) you will then have a detailed spec for your
coil which could be used to clear up potential problems.

   Jeff - you might be interested in this too for kVA purposes.

- Brent