[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: 240 volts for my NST?

Tesla List wrote:

> Original Poster: "Jon Lagler" <rockcrawl-at-netzero-dot-net>
>
> Hello All,
>     I have a 12kv 30mA NST that I am considering depotting to increase the
> output current. While discussing it with a friend, he said why not put 240
> volts to the primary instead of 120. That should increase the output to 24kv
> which I'm sure my 60kvdc MMC could handle. Will this work, or will I fry the
> NST?
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

Hi Jon...

bad idea...    the secondary windings are "engineered" to handle just
the proper amount of voltage   first off  ..  the primary would
overheat  secondly the secondary windings ( if the primary survived)
would breakdown insulation wise and then it would be zap city inside the
tranny....

depotting and removing SOME of the shunts would be a better bet be
careful with the output leads from the tranny...  they are thin wires
that break easily.

Scot D